Quinoa stuffed red pepper,,,,,,,so delicious and nutritious!

This recipe is from Shape, October 2009.
What I usually do is see a recipe and improvise. A lot of the time, I do not have all ingredients in my frig so, I add or take away.
I will give you the recipe and tell you how I improvised.
2/3 c. quinoa ( I made one cup because I used extra for lunch the next day)
6 red bell peppers ( I made two)
3/4 c. shredded carrots ( I used a cup for the extra quinoa)
1/2 red onion (I used a white onion, that is what I had)
1 10oz. package of frozen spinach thawed and drained ( I used about a cup of green beans, steamed and quartered) If I had spinach, I would use fresh.
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms ( I added to recipe)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely ( I added to recipe)
1 t. chili powder (omitted this, my husband doesn't like spicy)
1/2 c. grated mozarella ( I used a parmesan, that is what I had in the frig.
Preheat oven to 350. Make quinoa per directions on box. It is usually like rice, (1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water or broth). Add to water, bring to boil and then cover and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to boil add the red peppers ( these have the top cut off and seeds removed). Boil for 5 minutes.
Heat about 2 T. olive oil in pan, add onions, 2 cloves, chopped garlic (I love garlic) add carrots, green beans, mushrooms and saute for about 8 minutes. Add this mixture to cook quinoa and at this time add 1/2 c. of cheese, toss well. Remove your peppers from water and place in a baking dish with a bit of EVOO on the bottom. Stuff peppers with mixture, a bit of cheese on top and cook for 20 minutes.....these are amazing and so filling. If you have a meat eater in the house, side this with chicken or a nice piece of fish. With the extra mixture, save and eat the next day for lunch or dinner.
Enjoy!

Comments

0 Responses to "Quinoa stuffed red pepper,,,,,,,so delicious and nutritious!"

Post a Comment